Hey guys I’m Jen a Sudbury mom to three beautiful kiddos who are being raised as organic and non-toxic as possible. I’ll explain the details some other time but long story short…one of the kids got really sick and once toxins were eliminated from our lives that child got really well. We eliminated toxins from our food (Organic), water (purified), air (filtered – inside the house…can’t do much about outside) and eliminated toxins from the mac-daddy of all toxic exposure – our personal care products.
Did you know that your personal care products are a large source of toxic exposure? Honestly I had no clue and never questioned my products until my kid was sick. These are not just ingredients that may cause a little rash…these are really dangerous chemicals that have been scientifically linked to Cancer, diabetes, Autism, ADD, ADHD, infertility and endocrine disruption (think thyroid, adrenal and hormonal issues). Bad stuff man!
At the bottom of this page is the “top 18” list of chemicals to avoid in your products (i.e. shampoo, conditioner, moisturizer, sunscreen, makeup, deodorant etc.). I bet that if you went through your products and threw out anything that contained one of these chemicals you wouldn’t be left with much (unless you were aware of this issue already).
After years of making my own products using mostly organic coconut oil, baking soda, vinegar, lemon, and pure castile soap…I finally found a full-line of pure organic products (you could eat this stuff…and I have). It’s called Ava Anderson Non-Toxic and you can learn more and buy these amazing and safe products by going to www.avaandersonnontoxic.com/jenbarsamian.
Also if you want to check out the safety and toxicity of your current products go to www.ewg.org/skindeep. This is a database of over 74,000 personal care products, run by the Environmental Working Group (EWG) and their purpose is to allow consumers to make informed decisions on the products they buy.
EWG says “When you know what’s in the products you bring into your home and how those chemicals may affect your health and the environment, you can make informed purchasing decisions — and help transform the marketplace.”
So without further ado…Ava Anderson Non-Toxic’s top 15 chemicals to avoid!!
1. FRAGRANCE – chemical concoctions that are not required to be listed on the label, because manufacturers can legally hide hundreds of ingredients in “fragrance” or “parfum” – it is called a “trade secret” in the industry. More than 75% of the time if you have fragrance, you have legally hidden phthalates (THAL ates) which are a known endocrine disruptors, and are linked with birth defects, breast cancer, infertility, liver, cancer, diabetes, obesity, and now with autism and ADHD in first and third trimesters of pregnancy by Dr. Philip Landrigan, Mt Sinai, Children’s Environmental Health Center.
2. PARABENS – known endocrine disruptors. Preservative has caused many allergic reactions and skin rashes. Methylparaben combines benzoic acid with the methyl group of chemicals, and is highly toxic. Studies have linked these endocrine disruptors, which mimic estrogen, with breast cancer. While more conclusive studies need to be done, we recommend avoiding all parabens. A study by physicians at Pacific in Cat university of Chicago (Sept, 2011) linked BPA and methylplaraben with breast cancer, and also showed that the combination rendered tamoxifin ineffective.
3. TRICLOSAN – is the active ingredient in “anti bacterial” products, is registered with the government as a pesticide, and is a known endocrine disruptor. Triclosan (and its chemical cousin triclocarbon) is believed to disrupt thyroid function and contribute to liver and inhalation toxicity.
4. OXYBENZONE and OCTINOXATE – (and other chemical sunscreen “active ingredients”) are UV ray filters that are also known endocrine disruptors.
5. PETROLATUM & PETROLEUM INGREDIENTS – endocrine disruptors and carcinogens.
**Important note – ALL SIX OF THE ABOVE ARE “ENDOCRINE DISRUPTORS?” Many products that you use daily have one or more endocrine disruptors, and some will have multiples! They are important to avoid, because the endocrine system regulates ALL biological processes in the body – development of the brain and nervous system, growth and function of the reproduction system, metabolism and blood sugar levels, ovaries, testes, pituitary, thyroid and the adrenal glands. (Natural News)
The World Health Organization and the UN recently released a report that called endocrine disruptors a “Global Threat.” Small amounts of endocrine disruptors matter, especially to the developing fetus.
6. PEG’s – (polyethylene glycol) – are petroleum byproducts. During manufacturing process carcinogenic contamination is created – 1,4 dioxane – which is a known human carcinogen, with liver and kidney effects.
7. SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE (SLS) and sodium laureth sulfate (SLES) are detergents that create suds or foam. Both are considered carcinogens and SLES is sometimes contaminated with 1,4-dioxane, which is considered carcinogenic by the FDA. You will never see 1,4 dioxane on your label, as companies are also not required to list contaminants.
8. INGREDIENTS THAT END IN “-eth” like ceteareth, triceteareth, etc. Also carry the contamination concern for 1,4 dioxane.
**Important NOTE – all THREE of the above ingredients carry carcinogenic contaminant concerns created during manufacturing for 1,4 DIOXANE. The government allows 10 ppm (parts per million) in any one product, but no one is testing. 1,4 dioxane can be stripped for pennies, and must be done for any product exported to EU – don’t we deserve the same in US?
9. RETINYL PALMITATE – the FDA released a report that states in studies, retinyl palmitate, in the presence of sunlight, enhances skin cancer lesions by 21%.
10. NANOPARTICLES – it is important to note that most manufacturers of mineral sunscreens are using nanoparticles of zinc and titanium. Nanoparticles can cross the cell barrier and drive into organs, including the brain in humans. There is no way of knowing what size particle they are using unless they tell you. In EU manufacturers must list nanoparticles on the label, not in US.
11. ALUMINUM and metals – these are bio-accumulative, meaning they store in your fat cells and accumulate, and are very hard to get rid of. Many deodorants contain aluminum as an active ingredient.
12. DIETHANOLOMINE (DEA) and COCAMIDE DEA, LAURAMIDE DEA – DEA reacts with other ingredients to become the extremely carcinogenic nitrosodiethanolamine. Beware of other ethanolamines like triethanolamine (TEA) and monoethamolamine (MEA).
13. FORMALDEHYDE RELEASERS – DIAZOLIDINYL UREA, DMDM, HYDANTOIN, QUATERNIUM – found in most personal care products, formaldehyde can cause allergic reactions, dermatitis, joint pains and headaches, cancer and immune dysfunction.
14. SYNTHETIC COLOR/DYES – made from coal tar, which is a mixture of many chemicals, derived from petroleum. Coal tar is recognized as a human carcinogen. As well, these colors may be contaminated with low levels of heavy metals and some are combined with aluminum substrate. Aluminum compounds and many heavy metals are toxic to the brain. ie. FD&C Blue 1, Green 3, Yellow 5 & 6, Red 33.
15. GLYCOL – (propylene, butylenes, etc) a synthetic petrochemical mix that has been known to cause allergic and toxic reactions, and has been linked to cancer, developmental/reproductive issues, neurotoxicity and endocrine disruption.
16. MINERAL OIL – a petroleum ingredient that coats the skin like plastic wrap, disrupting the natural immune barrier, inhibiting its ability to breathe and absorb natural moisture and nutrition, and its abilityto release toxins, which can promote acne and other disorders. The process slows down skin function and normal cell development causing premature aging.
17. TALC – belonging to the same family as asbestos, talc is dangerous to inhale and has been linked to ovarian cancer.
18. SILOXANES – cyclomethicone and ingredients ending in “siloxane” (e.g., cyclopentasiloxane) are toxic, persistent, and have the potential to bioaccumulate. The EU classifies some as endocrine disruptors and possible reproductive toxicant that may impair fertility. Research shows some to cause uterine tumors and harm to the reproductive and immune systems. Some siloxanes can also influence neurotransmitters in the nervous system. Cyclomethicone is a mixture of three siloxanes.
Go to www.avaandersonnontoxic.com/jenbarsamian for more information or to buy clean, safe, non-toxic products.